Monday, May 11, 2009

Weekend Adventures

I spent a wonderful weekend on Vancouver Island, visiting, eating, drinking, shopping, photographing, planning and just simply relaxing! Yeah I know? me? relaxing! LOL

Seriously though.... I had a great time, I headed over on Thursday after work. My brother, SIL & Kate were already at my parents place when I arrived, they were making an overnight visit on their way to Long Beach.Friday, mom & I spent the day together and drove up island to visit a needlework shop in Courtney, the owner is retiring in June after 29 years in business. Naturally we had a stop at the Fanny Bay Inn for a pub lunch :) Afterwards happy hour on the deck at home and dinner at Gary's Bistro in Qualicum Beach with mom & dad.

Saturday - dad & I went on our photography excursion to Duncan. There were 10 of us in the group and I really didn't have any idea beforehand how the excursion was going to be run. The class was called Photographing Birds of Prey.... well let me tell you.... I had a blast!!

Our group met at the Birds of Prey Visitor Centre in Duncan, BC - a biologist spent over an hour with us showing and telling us all about the different species of bird. It was so wild... I had never been so close to such powerful and beautiful birds in my entire life. The birds then gave us a flying demonstration (with the biologist again giving us detailed information) so we could practice photographing them in flight. So here are a few photos I took on Saturday, I've got more to sort through but these will give you an idea of the variety of birds and just how stunning they really are.


We watched the hockey on Saturday night... sniff, sniff, Vancouver needs to win now or they'll be starting their golf season this week.

Sunday - another up and at em' morning to Duncan to the Vancouver Island University so we could have a photo critique with the instructor. Mom joined us for the day and whilst dad and I were in our class she strolled around with Glenn. Mom picked us up at 10:30 and we went for a nice stroll & coffee on the waterfront before heading to the Saltair Pub for lunch. Mom and dad dropped me off at the ferry terminal on their way home.

And that my friends was the weekend!!

6 comments:

Shell said...

fantastic photos Izzy - that class sounds amazing!

ScrappeeDiane said...

That sounds awesome. I can't wait to see more photos of the birds. When are we going out to shoot some wildlife?

Sue said...

Amazing photos Izzy..so envious of that class! WOW!
Your niece is adorable..as is your little furry friend! TFS and gald you ha d afun weekend.

Can we all go up to that place near Whistler to see the eagles in the Fall?

Susan said...

fabulous weekend, great photos...sounds like you had lots of fun.

Jo said...

stunning photography ... it looks like you had a great weekend!

Sue C said...

What a fabulous weekend you had!
Love the bird photos - and Kate, is she ever growing.

And a really lovely photo of Glen, love the lighting and the composition!