I'm so excited about this trip - it has been 4 months in the planning and now it's actually here! I have been surprised at the number of people that do not know of their existence, I had dinner with friends on Tuesday evening and all of them asked me "where" are the Azores.
Don't know yourself?.... here you go. The Archipelago of the Azores is composed of nine volcanic islands situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, and is located about 1,500 km west of Lisbon and about 1,900 km southeast of Newfoundland.
- Average Temperature in summer = 24C
- 1/4 of the land is protected natural space
- Population - 26% Male, 24% Female 50% Bovine!
- many UNESCO world heritage sites
- 41 different bird areas to view a large variety of birds - 30 viewing sites on land, 11 viewing sites at sea
Things to do:
- Bird Watching
- Diving, Swimming, surfing etc.
- Whale watching
- Hiking and walking
- ....and just plain ol' relaxation!
Watch the blog during September, I'll be posting all about our adventures, with photos too!