Monday, March 19, 2007

Musical Interlude

Last week I enjoyed two concerts. The first was on Thursday at the Vancouver Music Academy, which featured American guitarist Jason Vieaux.

His program was varied, he played compositions ranging from Variations on a theme of Mozart by Fernando Sor to Pat Metheny. I enjoyed the range of pieces he played he's quite spectacular to see and hear.

On Sunday afternoon I went to the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts to hear Gerald Finley a Canadian bass-baritone who was accompanied by the pianist Julius Drake.


Their program was stunning! The first half was the Dichterliebe (A Poet's love Op.48) by Robert Schumann. It's an astonishing 18 song cycle which expresses through song the innermost emotions of the romantic heart. Hearing it sung and played so beautifully will bring tears to your eyes, it certainly did for me!

The second half of the program was equally amazing with pieces by Charles Ives, Ned Rorem and Samuel Barber. The artists received a well deserved standing ovation and treated us to not one but two! encores. No one wanted to leave the concert hall but alas all good things must come to an end.

If any of these amazing artists come to your city/town... believe me, you won't want to miss them! You can purchase any of their CD's as well so you can have them in your own home at all times... I have some in my collection and actually got a new one by Jason Vieaux which he signed for me after the concert :)

Stay tuned... more concerts are on the calendar this spring. Happy Monday! and have a great week.

No comments: