Monday, December 29, 2008

One Week Ago Today......

It's been one of those weeks. Not the kind that I'd wish upon anyone, especially during the holidays. My 'day off' last Monday didn't quite turn out the way I had envisioned it.

I had my list, I was checking it twice and knocking off the "to do's" in an efficient manner..... until 12:33PM. That's when it happened, I came tumbling down.... literally. After that, well let's just say, I've been held prisoner at VGH & now I'm a prisoner at home!

12:33pm Dec.22nd - Izzy falls (spectacularly I might add) in the parking lot of Rob's place of work. Gifts & peanut brittle were safely delivered prior to my spectacular dive. I knew I'd done a number on my leg, I heard the "snap" as I went down.

12:55pm - Ambulance finally has negotiated the treacherous roadways and arrived to assist me. Meanwhile, Rob has called Norbert at the office to let him know what's happening.

1:20pm - Ambulance finally arrives at VGH with me strapped down tighter than a drum
and cursing a blue streak!

I lay on a stretcher, in the halls of VGH, (not in emerg) and am just waiting until someone picks up my chart to check me out. Nothing can be done until you've been seen, so there I lay, in my cold wet clothes with a broken ankle, in shock and in pain with no relief in sight.

I'm not quite sure of the time, but I think around 3pm I finally told Norbert to find someone, I really needed to go to the bathroom! and soon! Around 3:20 a nurse came by and wheeled the stretcher into room #8 of the emergency ward where she kindly helped me out of my wet cold clothes, put me into a gown, let me use the toilet and then promptly put warm blankets on me and inserted an IV. She could see immediately that I needed attention. After that it was rides to x-ray (twice!) and morphine to ease the pain. Yeah right!

At one point I was moved from room #8 to room #11, this is where I was 'put under' for a short period of time. The Dr. had to manipulate the foot and ankle to set the ankle 'temporarily'. The bulk of the work needed to be done in surgery. When I woke up a short 20 minutes after I was in a temporary cast and it didn't look good & at this stage but they were officially starving me in case they could squeeze me into surgery that night.

I had to move again from room #11 to a room marked DVC, not sure what that was but again was sent to xray and then had some scans done. At 8pm I was moved to a room in the Orthopedic Trauma ward. At 8:30pm, they came to say that I wasn't going to have surgery and could have something to eat. I ended up with a cup of tea and a tuna sandwich.

I sent Norbert home with a list of things to bring back for me and things to do.... mom & dad were arriving the next day! Poor guy was exhausted and worried sick about me.

Tuesday December 23rd - I'm on the list again for surgery, so I'm being starved again. All day long!! nothing, nada, zip! just an IV full of saline solution and morphine to keep me going.

It was a pretty long day, with not much happening for me. Mom & dad did arrive, we managed a visit after they settled in and had dinner with Norbert. Again at 8:30pm the nurse came to tell me that my surgery had been cancelled. It wasn't looking good at all.

Christmas Eve day - I want to go home! I've had it! but the surgeon appeared at 8am and informed me that I'd be making my way to pre-op between 10am & 11am! Hallelujah!

True to his word, they did come for me at 10:30am, I called Norbert to let him know that I was headed to surgery, don't come to the hospital until I call. Well I was IV'd up, marked up, head cap on and ready to roll into the operating theatre at 11am when...... yup you guessed it! my surgery was delayed due to an emergency. This happened twice to me that day!

I finally went into surgery at 3:30pm and came out at 6:30pm. Can you guess how happy I was to be spending my Christmas Eve.... in VGH, drugged up.

My parents & Norbert came to see me around 10pm that evening. I had insisted that they carry on with the plans for the day and evening. They were troopers, even with the terrible snow storm happening outside all day long, they managed to get out and about as well as setting up things for me at home. In the hopes that I'd be there for the holidays. They had a nice xmas eve dinner and Charles came over too!

Christmas Day - you can imagine how badly I am wanting to get out of the hospital. The surgeon came to see me around 8am - I told him I was going home for Christmas dinner. So I had to prove that I could manage, I had to do an hour of "tricks" with the wheel chair, walker & crutches. Once they were satisfied that I could manage and I wasn't one my own, they released me! I made it home for Christmas dinner!

So the long and short of this whole thing.... I broke my right ankle in two places, I now have two plates, pins and screws holding my ankle together. I'm in a cast, I can't walk, I have strict orders to keep the leg elevated for two weeks, no weight on the foot at all! and I'm going back to the Orthopedic Trauma Centre on January 6th to have the cast changed. Looks like I'm going to be out of action for quite some time.

Norbert has rented me a wheel chair & walker so that I can at least get around somewhat in the apartment but that's about it for the time being. I'm currently in the bed with the laptop checking emails and trying to keep some sanity. I'm not one to be just 'hangin' around'. I'll be going a little stir crazy in the next while.

And as crazy as all this is..... I managed to still take a photo a day!! okay, not me, but I insisted that Norbert take photos of me throughout this whole ordeal. I'm a scrapbooker after all!! Here's the one of the temporary cast... I'll get the rest of them sorted and uploaded later.
So feel free to email me, I'm not going anywhere! and I'll need something to occupy me while I'm on strict bed rest for the next two weeks.

13 comments:

bcgal00 Rae said...

Oh Izzy....you poor thing...big hugs to you! Good thing you got a laptop to occupy yourself online and hope you got a bunch of good movies to watch for the next little while.

Kathy said...

OMG Izzy! You poor dear! I know how much you love Christmas and I'm so sorry you had to spend it this way. I wondered where you were all this time and never imagined you could have been hurt! If there's anything at all I can do just let me know. Take care girlfriend. Rest and get better soon! Hugs, Kathy

RealRach said...

GIRL?!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! I am so sorry. I wondered what happened to you. I just assumed you were busy with the holidays! LOL Guess not. Well, take care. I will try to keep you entertained on my blog! heehee Take care and speedy recovery!

Jo said...

OMG Izzy ... my brother did the same thing almost 8 weeks ago and he still has to be careful ... you gotta take this one real seriously ... the ankle does not heal well if you abuse it during the healing period ... we are going to miss you big time at the crop in January.
Take care ... i will email and call ... i hope you are up to visitors soon.

Anonymous said...

Izzy - I am so sorry to read about your injury. Here I was "blog reading" all my favourites while my family is out tonight...I have been thinking about you all day for some reason, and your blog is always one I check in on. (your engery inspires me!) I feel so bad for you but chuckled too to see the photos of you lying "in wait" at VGH. Only you! Take care...your ankle needs to heal - make sure you follow Drs orders! I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Colleen

Sue C said...

Ok, since this a public site I will control my language. What a feakin' nasty thing to have happen Izzy! Especially at Christmas!

Morphine - pffft, they only think that stuff works ...

Of course you know, if you ever want to rant and rave, just phone me at home.

And if we can think of a way to get me into the building, I can always bring a DVD, some goodies and a smile.

At least it's not beautiful sunny weather that you are missing...as if that were any consolation!

Sending you patience, pain relief and hugs.

Sue C

Wendy said...

OMGoodness!

You poor thing! I can't believe you made it home for Christmas!

What a mess with the surgery-At least they operated on the right parts! LOL

Hang in there!

Judi said...

I am so sorry to here about your fall. Do what they say and get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Izzy - first I am so glad to see you post - I had been wondering if something bad had happened - because it is so unlike you just to disappear like that!

Second.. OMG - when you do something you do it well - OW OW OW - what a rotten way to spend the last few days leading up to Christmas. So glad you did make it home for Christmas Day though!!!

Sorry to hear that your hospital experience was such a pill - so many delays!!

huge hugs girlie - hang in there - and keep off the ankle!!!!

Brenna said...

Oh Izzy, how horrible. Jo is right listen to the doctors and stay off of it, you have a long way to go so take it easy. Big hugs to you and keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh Izzy, so sorry. Not a nice way to spend Christmas.. Listen to the Drs. and take this time to scrapbook, scrapbook and more scrapbook.. LOL

Anonymous said...

IZZY! I just got home from a week of flying from hell...and was catching up on my blog readng when I got an e-mail from Kathy saying that you had been hurt and to read your blog. OMG..you poor thing. However I did laugh out loud at your picture in the hospital with a coffee in your hand...LOL...so you!
Take care, when can you accept visitors?
If you need anything give me a call!
(((Hugs)))
Sue

Shelley Moore said...

Oh Good Grief - Izzy!!! I'm so sorry you took such a nasty spill - and during the holidays even! I hope though, since it's been a week, that you're feeling a bit better now!

Sending you mucho loves girl!