Friday, October 24, 2008

Reflections...

It continues to be busy as usual around here, and sometimes there are certain things that happen that make you stop and reflect on something other than the everyday things. It's been like that for me this past week... a few occurrences have given me that moment of reflection in an otherwise busy day/week.

On Tuesday (which was a glorious day out!) I was driving along a boulevard, going from one appointment to the next... at one point during the drive I actually "noticed" the boulevard. It's really fall! and this boulevard is lined with glorious trees all showing off their fall splendor. Wow! a spectacular showing of red, orange, yellow & gold. How on earth did I miss this? .... too busy concentrating on the traffic and not taking a look around at the world. I'm going back with my camera this weekend and will enjoy the fall splendor.

Wednesday evening I went to Diane's. I met a friend of Diane's - Kelly. We enjoyed a homemade chow mein dinner, had the world series baseball on in the background, a couple of beers and some good laughs! all while making some adorable Christmas cards. Another - wow! Friends, food, baseball, beer and crafting! It's a great way to spend an evening in the middle of the week.

Thursday - I went to a concert with friends to hear the Enso String Quartet - a young vibrant group of musicians. Their first piece was the String Quartet in A minor by Robert Schumann - it was the first string quartet he wrote and I was totally blown away! I couldn't recall hearing the piece before and there I was sat in the Music Academy with my eyes closed absorbing each note. A complete escape from the world around me... it was another Wow!

On top of that I had one of those gut wrenching moments on Thursday as well. My dear friend Penny, told me her son (my godson) was hit by a car on Wednesday afternoon on his way home from school. In that split second of hearing the words "Nelson was hit by a car" everything else went into a blurr.... he's fine, just a few scrapes but OMG! It's the last thing Penny needed at this time in her life. This weekend I will be going to a memorial tea for Penny's mom, Jackie, she passed away a short time ago and the family had a memorial on Salt Spring Island first and are now having a small gathering of friends/family here in Vancouver. It will be a time to remember and share our stories.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Sue C said...

I'm glad to hear that Nelson is all right!

As you said, when things happen, it makes us pause and reflect, and think about what matters in life.

My thoughts are with you and Penny and Nelson, and I am glad the weather is so lovely for the memorial tea.

Kathy said...

So glad to hear that Nelson is ok. We should all stop and reflect a little more often, life is precious and all too short!

Jo said...

What is it with bad drivers lately ..
So glad that Nelson is okay, I truly feel for your friend Penny ... her life is just so traumatic right now ... I'm glad she has you as a friend, i know that you will help her stay strong.